Twinning up to build a legacy that benefit SA

They are probably one of the many unsung heroes of the black community. But for decades now, twin brothers -Thabo and Mpho Putu- had been grooming and supporting many gifted children from the previously disadvantage communities to excel and and make a impact on others. Their aim, is to see these kids grow up to become leaders in various fields including art, politics, sports and other areas that will later benefit South Africa. Through their early 90s programme, Gifted Child Development Programme (GCP) they have produced the likes of Kwaito kingpin Kabelo Mabelane who became one of the members of music group TKZee, SABC3 Isidingo's new director and actor Motlatsi Mafatshe and the current Democratic Alliance (DA) leader, Mmusi Maimane. It is no surprise that in some households they are called deputy fathers as they provide the father figure and guidance to many youth especially those from single parenting homes. I too have felt their extended fatherly love in the 90s. When the South African government opened white schools to accommodate black students, these two brothers went all out raising funds that saw me become part of the first black students at Rand Girls High in Braamfontein, Johannesburg. It did not end there, together with teacher friends, Humphrey Mogale, Paul Dlamini and Ben Setlhatlhole volunteered to teach us English, mathematics, science at PACE High School in Soweto. An exercise that was suppose to prepare us for Model C schools. In those days some of us had never had a chance of being in the same room with white children nor did we know how a science laboratory looked like. While the five days camps at Rocky Valley and Stoney Ridge was a nice holiday away from home but also had spiritual and educational programmes to boast our confidence and believe in our dreams. Our 1993 educational trip to the SABC Auckland Park where we met and interacted with the much love newsreader then, Noxolo Grootboom sparked an interest in me of gathering news.I listened with interest as she told us that she started as a receptionist and later groomed for news. Not knowing later in my life I will become a print journalist for a community, regional and national newspaper with five awards (national and provincial) to my name. "We strongly believe in prevention," said Mpho as we set down for coffee at Seatlle in Rosebank. "Better give the child everything they need so they do not end up doing crime. Make them believe that everything is possible and they can be anything they want to be. Ours is to give them that kick start". Both are teachers by profession but also run their own community church and youth ministry every Friday. They still advocate and lobby for exchange programmes and have traveled to countries like America, Ethiopia and all over the world. Just recently, they were able to facilitate for more than 800 students who wouldn't have had the opportunity of studying at a tertiary institution. "For us this has been our life purpose and calling. Hence we've never stopped and instead we continuing with the work and growing in all areas that we have served," said Thabo. They have a collection of MBAs, degrees and masters. You can imagine the embarrassment I felt when I had to tell them, I'm still trying to complete my law degree at Unisa,i didnt even reveal I was hustling for a TV job over and above the journalism and creative writing qualifications on my belt. I mean, as one of the loud mouth playful students, I did feel a bit embarrassed by the little effort I had put on my education. But felt a light burden been lifted off as they encouraged me in all the projects I'm currently doing. I met the brothers at Teen Out Reach Christian Club. At the time, my father had just returned from exile with nothing and they were helping him to rebuild his life. The club was formed in the 1970s and is one of the living legacies of Rev Frank Chikane and Pedro Raboroko.It was formed to continue the work Steve Bantu Biko's black consciousness movement.

Comments

  1. I'm a benefiary of their wisdom and guidance ,and myself and many other DSD members we are proud of their work n gifts embedded on them. Nkululeko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!!! We should keep celebrating them while still alive yazi. This was true black love for me

      Delete
    2. I too was raised by Mpho.That man is AMAZING

      Delete
  2. I was raised by Papa Mpho and he is still a father I never had. Love him and thank you for everything you did for us. You really tried your all although we failed you in most aspects of life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesss gal, the doeks are on FLEEK!

Nigerian born Solomon Izang Ashoms is on a mission to clean up South African churches