Who are you to tell me how to run my church?

That was a question I was asked on Fathers Day last year. At the time I was still drunk on the word received from my church. I had honoured an invitation from my Bracken High School friend, Nalo. The girl who decided to shortened my name from Khanyiswa to Khanyi so to accommodate all the white speakers who found it difficult to pronounce the swa, the last three names of my full name. So there I was in Soweto, at this different kind of church where R60 offering is collected at the gate before you could see the different evangelists, prophets,apostles and pastors of this different church took to the show grounds to wow congregants with their car spinning skills. The Bible was the line up of BMW 320 or BMW 3 series E21 cars renamed to Tezza, MA. ERA, Izinyoka nyoka and Skudunga. These cars to wow the crowd as they spin on the field until all tires were damaged or the sport referee calls them out as soon as he spot danger. When watching the sport live, you can't help but clutch your teeth and cross your fingers that the driver doesn't loose control and he come crushing on the bob wire fence. According to Floyd, one of the participants and name the sport as a BEE sport. The sport is costly. He bought his BMW E21 as a second hand for R40 000. He has his own mechanic and has spent almost R100 000 on just maintaining it. One of the courageous ladies, Phumzile from Protea North in Soweto said she loves the sport as it helps her release stress. Phumzile aka Lady P first saw the sport at the South African hip hop star, Pro Kid's memorial service. "I fell in love with the adrenaline rush that it brings. From that day on, I bought myself a car and whenever I want to release stress. I climb on it". Car spinning is not a new sport but it is a growing sport in the black community.
Every Wednesday and Sundays there are sessions held all around Soweto with competitions held in Durban and Cape Town. Please follow us on the various social media pages: Facebook: Khanyiswa Ndabeni Instagram: Khanyiswasa Youtube:Khanyi Ndabeni and here is the link with this article https://youtu.be/QXQ67xYqZEE Twitter: @ndabenik

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Twinning up to build a legacy that benefit SA

Yesss gal, the doeks are on FLEEK!

Veteran actress Mama Nandi Nyembe on female scars